Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Inspired, Inspiring

If you think something is impossible, don't disturb the person who is doing it.
Dr. Amar Bose
Dr. Amar Bose died last Friday. The founder of Bose Corporation was 83.

Dr. Bose was one of those characters who merited the qualifier, unique. He was an MIT educated electrical engineer with unbridled creativity, a canny entrepreneur who only built products that he found useful and interesting.

Dr. Bose founded Bose corporation while still studying electrical engineering at MIT. The company developed everything from concert-hall-quality speakers for the home to automobile suspension systems that used noise canceling technologies to cancel bumps in the road. He never took the company public (the goal of most tech entrepreneurs), but instead opted to keep it private so that he wouldn't have to compromise his research in order to satisfy the concerns of Wall Street. In a 2004 interview, he said:
I would have been fired a hundred times at a company run by MBAs. But I never went into business to make money. I went into business so that I could do interesting things that hadn't been done before.
That's not to say that he didn't make money. He did, but he did it on his terms. He pursued what he loved to do and the money came.
At 13, I realized that I could fix anything electronic. It was amazing, I could just do it. I started a business repairing radios. It grew to be one of the largest in Philadelphia.
He never lost his love for what he did. At a time in his life when most would have retired and moved on, he still pursued his research with the same enthusiasm and energy he had when starting out.
The excitement level for me working on projects is really not a bit different from when I was 26.
Dr. Bose is one of those people whom I've found to be quite inspiring. I thought that you might too.

Happy Tuesday,
Teflon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...