Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Place to Stand

What a year I'm having! And it's not even two weeks old.

Of course the two-weeks-old part could be a bit misleading. After all, I got a running start. In fact, I started running towards this year almost four years ago.  I didn't know at that time that I was running towards this year; at intervening points, I wasn't exactly sure towards what I was running, but run I did (or at least metaphorically). To draw the most from the running metaphor, I'd have to say that it's been something of a marathon sprint.

Any way, what a year I'm having! Over the past two weeks, I've been offered more business opportunities than I'd been offered over the past five years.  It's as if people finally started catching up with the ideas I've been developing in my software laboratory and catching on to how useful they might be.  Responses to my sharing what I've been working on went from "what the heck are you talking about" to "why would anybody need that" to "no one could possibly build that" to "when can I have that?"

In short, it's been way cool.

I went to Florida this week to solidify a plan for a new healthcare project that combines media messaging, traditional healthcare methods, and  mobile and web technologies to improve community healthcare while reducing costs. The project is a partnership among a university, a large healthcare system, a media company, a television network and me. At the end of our kick-off meeting, not only was everyone on board, but they were really excited about what we'd set out to accomplish.

We walked out of the building and got into the car. I thought aloud, "Wow, I finally have a place to stand. I've got a fulcrum, and over the past four years I've been putting together a monster of a lever, but for the first time, I have a place on which I can stand and use it."

My reference to Archimedes wasn't lost on my business partners who, after the meeting, could fully appreciate the metaphor.

For me, it was as if all the disparate piece-parts I'd been working on for the past four years suddenly came together in a highly concentrated and focused manner, like random bits of light spontaneously forming into a lazer beam. I'd like to say, it's just as I planned it, but over the past four years I had no idea how everything would work out; I just kept taking step after step after step.

There were times where not knowing got a bit trying, but then another opportunity to take a step would distract me and off I'd go. You don't know how it's going to turn out, but you kind of do. You don't know the specifics, but you do know that if you keep building tools that solve real problems and you build them in a way that allows them to work together, something's bound to happen. Of course included in the specifics that you don't know is the specific 'when'.

Anyway, I think 'when' just might be 'now'.

What a year I'm having! Still a lot of work to do and a lot of variables to be nailed down, but hey, that's what keeps it interesting.

Happy Saturday,
Teflon

1 comment:

  1. Wow and wow, Tef. Very excited for you, and looking forward to seeing where it leads!

    ReplyDelete

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...