Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Best Muffin so Far!

Over the last ten weeks or so, I have adjusted my diet to be totally gluten and wheat free and to also avoid spices and molds that my body was responding to. This has really helped to minimize my lifelong intestinal track issues, and I have found many other unexpected side effects like healthier skin, new hair growth, and being more active.

A diet without yeast, means you really cannot trust any processed food. It is amazing how yeast extract has found its way into almost everything you can possibly eat. For fun, take out the packaged foods you ate this morning and look at the tiny letters on the label. If you are not an label reader, you will be surprised what gets added to your cereal, milk and other products.

Anyway, since I cannot rely on any processed products, I have started to bake and cook. After running, cooking has probably been the activity I have avoided most. An area I never felt like addressing living with a fantastic cook. Thank you Mark!

But there is more than just dinner, and like a true Dutchie, I really like to eat some kind of bread to still my early morning hunger. So it was time to learn how to bake. After some experimenting I now have some favorite bread, muffin, pie and lasagna recipes. It has been really fun finding recipes and adjust them to our taste. Read: remove lots of sugar and fat.

This morning I baked another batch of muffins, see picture. They are to die for, and half is gone already. So, I decided that I better share this recipe with you. If you like a moist and not too sweet muffin, I recommend you to try this out. It seems to be the most forgiving recipe ever and I have not been able to make a batch that was not nice. No, they only seem to get better...

Iris’s favorite muffin
Dry ingredients:
3/4 cup buckweat flour
1/2 cup teff flour
¼ cup arrowroot starch
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Wet ingredients:
1/3 cup safflower oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup very mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)

Ideas to change it up:
Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or berries
Add 1 teaspoon Honey for sweetness
Replace bananas with peanut or almond butter
Use a mix of apples, raisins and cinnamon
Use pine-apple or strawberries

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan
  • Whisk together all the dry ingredients. Set aside.
  • Mix together all wet ingredients. I found it helpful to use the mixer to help add some air into this mix
  • Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture
  • Use a ladle to quickly fold in additional ingredients like apple, walnuts, raisins etc.
  • Scoop the batter into the cups of the muffin pan. Depending on ingredients your amount of dough can be for 11 – 12 muffins
  • Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for a couple of minutes before removing from the pan.

Enjoy your meal!

Love,
Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...