Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Het is Een Mooi Ding

Het is een mooi ding. 

It's dutch for "It's a beautiful thing." 

The "is" has an 's' sound, not a 'z' (at least that is, if you say it as Iris does). "Een" sounds like the 'ane' of propane. Mooi (beautiful) sounds like "boy" with a slight emphasis on the 'y' and 'ding' is pronounced just as you might think. If you wanted to say, "It's a very beautiful thing, you could add the word "heel" which sounds like the english "hale". Het is een heel mooi ding.

Go ahead. Try it. Loosely, it sounds like: Het iss ane hale moy ding.  Het is een heel mooi ding.

I usually use the phrase in conjunction with the word "when". It's a beautiful thing when...

It's a beautiful thing when someone's ice-hard resolve to stay angry melts into vapor. It's a beautiful thing when the blinders drop and what was incomprehensible becomes clear. It's a beautiful thing when the first buds emerge and you know that your long years of labor will indeed yield fruit. It's a beautiful thing when a plan comes together. 

The last one is a misquote of the A-Team's Col. John Hannibal Smith who regularly said, "I love it when a plan comes together." 

On the surface, a plan coming together may not seem beautiful. Other adjectives are more appropriate, e.g., rewarding or satisfying. However, when invoked in the manner of Hannibal Smith, I think beautiful is appropriate. For everyone involved, the details of his plans were never fully clear until they'd been carried out. His plans were at best rough sketches, never detailed drawings. They were riddled with holes and places where either a miracle occurred or they'd just figure it out.

Nonetheless, when the battle was over and his team stood victorious he'd say, "I love it when a plan comes together", as though everything had gone exactly as he'd imagined it. 

For me, it's a beautiful thing when a plan comes together because I'm often as surprised as the next person, not so much in the fact of it having come together, but instead in how it came together. I start so many projects for which I haven't a clue as to how I'm going to actually pull them off. Generally speaking, without a change in circumstance, I won't. Yet start them I will.

I move forward until something stops me. If I can't move through it, I move around it. If I can't move around it, I work on something else until circumstances change. Sometimes the roadblock simply disappears. Sometimes I figure out a new approach. Sometimes someone shows up with a roadblock remover. Serendipity creates a path forward.

Fast-forward a few months, I've completed another impossible project and I think, "It's a beautiful thing when a plan comes together."

Het is een mooi ding als een plan bij elkaar komt.

Happy Wednesday,
Teflon

1 comment:

  1. Don't know what worked, but congratulations anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...