Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Thirty Years Hence

It's 7:00AM, June 19, 2042. Iris and I head into Great Barrington for coffee and scones.  We pull up in front of Fuel, hop of the Harley and head inside. The sound effects of the bike leave you thinking it's really running on gasoline.

As we walk through the front door... well it's not really a door, more of a column of air, we see Mickey sitting at the same seat he'd been occupying for ten years way back in 2012. Absorbed in his ancient Macbook Pro, he types furiously. As we approach him, Iris calls out, "Hey, Mickey."

At the sound of her voice, Mickey looks up smiling. Then he sees me. I hear him mutter, "Oh, geesh!"

He looks down. He looks up. He looks down. He looks up.

Finally Mickey says, "The answer to your question is, 'Yes!'"

I say, "The answer to what question?"

Mickey says, "You know what question. It's the question you ask me every time you see me."

I say, "You're kidding?"

Mickey says, "Nope. So just go ahead and ask. Let's get this over with."

I say, "OK. Umm... Are you still working on that book?"

Mickey says, "Yes!"

I say, "Exactly which rewrite is this?"

Mickey says, "You don't want to know."

I say, "Sure I do. You just don't want to say. Which rewrite is it?"

Mickey humphs and says, "129."

Iris orders a soy latte and I get an Americano.  As I take my first sip of coffee, the pungent aroma and flavor take me back. Memories flood my mind. I think, "Ah, they still have never cleaned the expresso machine."

The impact of the experience is powerful. It carries me back to a time thirty-years prior. I think about Iris and me sitting in this very place contemplating what to make of our futures. I think of the questions we asked one another, the hopes and doubts we shared, the visions we shaped.  I think of how things turned out so differently than we expected, yet still in line with where we wanted to go. I think of all the changes we made and all the things about each of us that never seemed to change, or at least, not for long.

I think about all the things we didn't do. With as much as we wanted to do, the things we didn't do far outnumbered what we did. Yet I feel no sense of loss or regret. I feel... well... inspired.

I take Iris' hand, look her in the eye and say, "Remember how we always wanted to..."  

She looks at me and smiles, "Sure I do. So, you ready to start planning the next thirty years?"

----
Happy Tuesday,
Teflon

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing brought up motorcycle memories for me. I wrote about that a bit but experienced a bit of a learning curve on how this blog commenting works! Now, next time I will know!
    I love you and Iris!
    Mickey too.
    And Fue1!
    And life!

    ReplyDelete

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...