Sunday, May 13, 2012

Delight

This morning, I decided to decide on my intentions for the day.  As I stopped to make the decision, I got stuck on one word: delight.  I decided to delight in anything and everything today.  It is also mother's day, an external reminder of my internal intention.  Here are a few of the things I took delight in:

  • Although I wanted to be up and about by 7:30 am, it had been a full week.  I changed my mind and took pleasure in being in bed for at least another hour.  The kids were still asleep.  Work could wait.  Contemplation could occur right here in bed.
  • I delighted in wearing a pair of earrings I truly love, a gift from a friend in Turkey.
  • I delighted in being off on my own agenda.  I went to a meeting and when people asked me how the kids were, I delightedly shrugged, "I dunno!  I guess they are ok!" and grinned.  Being off was truly delightful.
  • I sat in a meeting that felt a little ... disheveled... and I resisted my typical temptation to think about how the make the meeting more efficient and effective.  I didn't!  Instead, I delighted in just being there, in the people and their contributions.
  • I had lunch with my mom.  There were so many delightful things about that.  Isaiah sponsored our day together and we still had money left.  I took her to one of my favorite indian restaurants and had the buffet so she could sample an entire assortment of appetizers, entrees, and sweets.  Yum!
  • I delighted in taking her to work, relaxing enough to follow her directions. (I usually hate following directions while I'm driving.  I really like to know where I'm going before I get behind the wheel)
  • I pulled up a listing of  houses for sale in the area on my way back home.  I decided to drive by a few, stopped on streets I enjoy, looked around.  I'm really wanting my own back yard and took delight in thinking about the possibilities as  looked at these houses for sale.
  • When I got back home, the kids regaled me with stories of Jaedon's antics while I was away.  They were hilarious, especially Jaedon mooning other travelers through the back window of our minivan as he took off his shorts and remained bent over while Daddy was driving.  We all had a hearty laugh.  I delighted in the story and delighted in my delight.
All simple things, yet so wonderful. Delight feels really good.  I encourage you to decide on a few simple intentions for your day.  If you only choose one, I recommend delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...