Thursday, March 22, 2012

Still with Me

Scott says, "While you shovel through the room? I don't get it."

Iris asks, "Is shovel the wrong word? I know how to say it in Dutch. What's the right word English?"

Scott answers, "Well that depends. What are you trying to describe?"

Iris responds, "Ummm... Have you ever watched old people walking?"

I say, "I think you mean 'shuffle'."

Iris says, "Yeah, that's what I said, 'shovel.'"

I say, "Not shuVV-el, shuFF-el."

It's Wednesday night, time for rehearsal with No Room for Jello. Iris and I are performing at a songwriters' showcase tomorrow night and we've finally got around to trying the new songs she's written over the past couple of days.

Iris' first song is about a couple, the parents of her high school boyfriend, Jacco. For Iris they were more than that. At a time in her life when pretty much everyone and everything was unstable, Jaap and Ria took her in as one of their own. Even today, Iris feels a deep sense of gratitude for who they became for her.

Last time we were in the Netherlands, Iris visited the Ria and Jaap. Both Ria and Jaap had been diagnosed with cancer at about the same time. While Ria had recovered, Jaap was at time of the visit in the final stages of his illness. Iris says that physically he was clearly challenged and you could see the pain come and go, but at the same time he was just as wonderful as ever. He was interested in people and made many jokes, including the more typical Dutch sarcastic jokes about his illness. He and his wife did everything possible to enjoy the moments they still had together.

After her visit, Iris jotted down some words for a song. After a couple years patiently waiting, the words found an outlet last night.

The past is gone, the future stopped
There’s nothing else than today
I fluff your pillows and I bring you tea
Do anything to make things easy

Sometimes it hardly bearable
To see how pain makes you cry
But then your frail hands grab mine
And you plead with me to not resign

With all you have, you still hold on, you fight so hard to stay
Yet no matter how you try, life slowly drifts away,
These are the last weeks you’re here with me
While you shuffle through the room,
I’m grateful that you’re still with me

Your sweet mouth feels soft as ever
And you’re sharp like nothing happened
With humor you fight your fears
Why can’t you stay for many more years

The time goes on and I can’t stop it
The moment comes to say goodbye
The doctors give you three months,
Until I’ll have to let you fly

With all you have, you still hold on, you fight so hard to stay
Yet no matter how you try, life slowly drifts away,
These are the last weeks you’re here with me
While you shuffle through the room,
I’m grateful that you’re still with me

While you shuffle through the room
I’m grateful that you’re here with me


If you happen to be in the Berkshires and you'd like to hear the premier performance of this and other songs, please join us tonight at the Live Music Cafe, I183 Art School, 13 Willard Hill Road, Stockbridge (Interlaken).

Eight singer/ songwriters will perform between 7 - 9. For more information, surf to http://www.facebook.com/events/317194168340151/

Happy Thursday,
Teflon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...