Friday, December 2, 2011

Huh?

You know, Mark, not everyone argues in order to facilitate understanding.

Huh?

I'm saying that the reason these guys don't get it not matter how many ways you bring it is that they have no intention of getting it.

But... Then what would their intentions be?

To win.

To win what?

Whatever it is they want, whatever their arguments support.

Even if their own arguments don't actually lead to their conclusions.

Specially if their own arguments don't lead to their conclusions.

But... I mean... There must be a way to show them. Maybe if I came up with better illustrations or...

That's not going to work.

Yeah, but... if I came up with a really strong and compelling argument, wouldn't they then be able to see?

It would be exactly the opposite.

What do mean?

The stronger your argument, the more vehemently they'll argue their unsupported conclusions. They'll resort to other methods. They might introduce false or unsubstantiated data. They might try to distract with irrelevant facts. They may simply dismiss you and everything you say. Rather than talking with you, they'll talk to others about you.

So what do I do?

What do you want to do?

I just want to get back to doing the work I was doing and working with people who want the same thing.

Then why don't you do that?

Because... hmm... Why don't I just do that?

Good question.

I guess it's because I keep believing that, if I could just do a better job of presenting my point and showing them how what I'm suggesting actually works, I could somehow get them to see.

What if they don't want to see?

How could they not want to see?

Not everyone is interested in seeing and understanding perspectives at odds with their own.

Huh?


Happy Friday,
Teflon

1 comment:

  1. Tef--

    So, how does it feel to be an instrument in the hands of the Benevolent Universe, [once again] delivering *precisely* the needed/wanted message to me at *precisely* the needed/wanted time?

    And don't try to convince me otherwise. I'm not listening.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...