Sunday, November 13, 2011

Before I Hit the Ground

Yesterday, in Something Astonishing, I shared a response by Mister Will to one of Jenny's writing prompts. Today, I'd like to share one that Iris wrote. The prompt was: before I hit the ground.

Happy Sunday,
Teflon


Before I Hit the Ground
Before I hit the ground my mind goes one last time through some crazy emergency checklist to see if there's anything I can do to stop this. Let me see…
  • Hold on to something? No.

  • Steer myself in another direction? No.

  • Stop it? No.

  • Is there anyone to help me? No.

  • Is there any way to avoid this? No.

OK, breathe. This is it then, my last couple of breaths on earth. Not the moment I expected at all, but hey, life is full of surprises isn’t it. I would have loved to say goodbye at least. Hugs and cries. Maybe this is easier. They will figure out that I stuffed some cash in my mattress, I guess. I never got to finish my will.

Wow, this gravity thing is strong. I can see the end of my journey approaching quickly. The air resistance is huge, but I'm still going down, down, down. The noise racing past my body is like a lullaby as I continue to contemplate...

What will happen after I smash to death on the quickly approaching concrete? Will I stop thinking? Will it hurt? No, don’t go there. Think different thoughts. Err... Will I become a soul? Will I become a ghost?

Hey, don’t they tell you that at the end of your life you flash through all your experiences? Damn those liars!

SPLASH...

A bright white light shines into my eyes. Damn, can you turn that thing down please? My freshly crushed head cannot tolerate your enthusiasm one bit. Come on guys. Be considerate with me. Can you otherwise just change the color to something more appropriate?

Red, huh? Hmm... Ok, I guess I asked for that didn’t I.

Listen, I just died unexpectedly and... Wow, you must hear that all the time don’t you. Anyway, I am not very experienced at dying but I can tell you this went all wrong.

In the red canvas before me a door appears in the distance. It seems to fly towards me, faster and faster. As it approaches, the door slowly opens.

This is insane. It feels like I am falling again, but my visual says I am going to be swallowed by this beast. Is there anything I can do to stop it? Let me see…
  • Hold on to something? No.

  • Steer myself in another direction? No.

  • Stop it? No.

  • Is there anyone to help me? No.

  • Is there any way to avoid this? No.

Ok. This is it then. The afterlife consists of door beasts that swallow all that comes their way. What will happen after I get swallowed by that door? Will I stop thinking? Will it hurt? No, don’t go there! Think different thoughts. Err... Will I become a soul? Will I become a ghost?

AHHHH!

1 comment:

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...