Saturday, June 11, 2011

So What's It Worth to You?

"Look, man, I gotta get to Boston right away. It's really, really important."

"So what do you want from me?"

"Well, I could really use your car. You know, it's like two-hundred-fifty miles and I don't know how else to get there."

"Look, I'd like to help you out, but I need my car to get to work. How about I drop you off at the train station and you catch a train to Boston?"

"Train station? I can't take the train!"

"You can't take the train? Why, are you allergic or something?"

"No man, the train cost like fifty bucks and I haven't got fifty bucks?"

"Well, then how were gonna get to Boston in my car? It's gotta cost at least that much in gas."

"Yeah, whatever, I mean, I figured you at least got gas in your car?"

"Sure I've got gas in my car, but... wait a minute. Forget about the gas part. I already told you I need my car. Look, if you really need to get to Boston, I'll buy you a train ticket."

"Uhhh… Yeah, but I can't take the train."

"You said you couldn't take the train because you couldn't afford a ticket. If I buy you a ticket, then what's the problem?"

"Why can't you just lend me your car and then you take the train to work if you're so all about trains?"

"First of all, the train schedule doesn't… Wait a minute, it's my car we're talking about here. I don't have to justify why I get to drive it. Look, I can get you to the train station and I'll buy you a ticket. Otherwise, I could take you to the bus station and buy you a a bus ticket. Either way, you could be in Boston in no time."

"The bus! I can't take the bus."

"Why not?"

"You seen the kind of people that ride the bus? You saying I look like one of them?"

"What the heck are you talking about?"

"Look man, if you don't want to help me, just say so."

"But…"

"You people with your cars and your money, you've got no idea what it's like to be poor and carless. Sheesh, I can't believe I thought you were the type of guy who'd help someone in need. Keep your stupid car. I'm sure I can figure something out. I'll just tell my poor old mom that I can't get up to see her cuz all my friends are too self-centered to help me."

"Your mom? What's up with your mom?"

"As if you'd care."

"No, man, please, tell me."

"Not that it's gonna make any difference, but she's been admitted to Mass General and tomorrow they're gonna operate."

"Wow, I had no idea. What kind of operation are they going to perform?"

"It's complicated. I just hope she's gonna be OK. I don't know what I'd do if something happened and I wasn't there."

"Look man, I'd really like to help you but, I need to get to work."

"So, you're saying that work is more important than family?"

"No. I mean, well..."

"I know, you guys with careers are all about work. Work. Work. Work."

"It's just that, well, I'm just barely paying my bills as it is. I really can't afford to miss work and I for sure can't afford to lose my job."

"You sure got some screwed up sense of priorities man."

"If I lend you my car, when could have it back?"

"Does it have gas in it?"

"Yeah, I just filled it up."

"Can you lend me some money to get gas for the trip back?"

"Yeah, sure. Whatever you need. Just go see your mom."

"Cool. I'll have your car back to you on Thursday. I knew you'd come through for me. I wish more people were like you."

Happy Sunday,
Teflon

1 comment:

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...