Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Waking up

In the last days Teflon and I have had some wonderful discussions on what we can learn from how our mind and body works together when we sleep and wake up. You will hear more about this in different blogs to come. Today I want to start with “waking up”, because he suggested in a comment on his article “sleeping” that I could distill the waking up process a bit.

I have no idea what the world has researched about waking up after sleep habits. I surely will do some research on that and share it with you. But knowing nothing is not going to stop me from exploring my own habits.

I would say I am a morning person. But there are differences in the time I get up. There are periods I am up at creek of dawn, and there are periods that I like to sleep in. (Sleep in means 7:30 am!) Why is it that I sometimes jump out of bed, and other times I like to sleep longer?

Chronically Late

Let me first tell you that I am do not sleep through alarm systems and that I am not a person who is chronically late or too late for appointments. I have no experience in that area. If you are a person like that or another variation I don’t discuss here, I would love to invite you to chime in.

Getting Up is Easy

I agree with Mark that excitement for the day helps me to get out of bed. Looking forward to something is very motivational. For me it can be anything, as long as it is positive rewarding in some way. I still have very vivid memories from the mornings I got up as a teenager to go to my summer job in the tulip fields.

Getting Up is Hard

If I don’t look forward to the day, I surely like to sleep longer. Also, when I feel physically less good, I will sleep longer. This last one I want to explain a bit more. When I have for example hay fever or bellyaches, I will not notice them when I am sleeping. There is no sneezing, and my body doesn’t really register the pain in my belly. This morning for example, I got up at 5:30am, but without the happy “oempfff.” Five minutes after awakening I start to realize that my intestines are cramping painfully. The pain goes away after I am able to visit the bathroom a while later.

I also sleep longer when I have been sleep deprived, but this is generally only a couple of days to catch up. In this last case, I also prefer to go to bed earlier instead of sleeping longer in the morning.

What does this say about me?
I am not sure yet. I think it has something to do with the article about discomfort I posted last Sunday. I like to avoid discomfort.

What about you?
I would love to hear stories about your waking up experiences so we can take this conversation to a next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...