Sunday, May 29, 2011

Runners-high

I drove home after my personal training session with Ari Zorn. I was marveling to myself about the beauty of life, about my wonderful amazing husband, about how fun it is to learn all the new things like playing trumpet, playing drums and writing. I recognized my euphoria, and I saw that it was comparable with the happiness I enjoyed as a kid. Unattached happiness...

Later that night I told Mark with a smile and amazement about this fabulous feeling I had lingering over me. I said, “I cannot do anything else then smile” and laughed out loud. He looked at me curiously, and than responds with a very enthusiastic “that makes sense”. “What do you mean that makes sense?” I responded, not understanding his spontaneous insight that seemed to brighten up the room as if someone just turned on a light.

“I should have know a long time ago” he responded, a response not clarifying anything to me. I must have looked kind of sheepishly at him, because he sees my face and stops. “You have runners high”! As response I pull up my eyebrows. “You get a runners high from lifting weights”. Still trying to comprehend what he said I didn’t respond to his words. He jumped up, waved his hands to get my attention, and continued, “you are like Clay. Your muscles are built for moving heavy stuff, and so you get a runners-high from lifting weights. Just like Clay. I am built differently and I get a runners-high from running.”

“Really” I said. “So, how far do you have to run to get a runners high” I ask him. “I have a runners high every time I run” he answered excitedly. You can have a runners-high every time you lift weights.

Since this conversation I thought about how to implement some weight exercises around my running, so I will have the same great euphoric feeling at the end of my run.

I went running on the beach along the shoreline, bare feet. I would sink in the sand a lot and after a couple of hundred feet my lungs were already burning. I had planned a four-mile distance, and I knew it would be too far to run. What ended up happening is that I ran until I couldn’t anymore, then I would walk for ca. 3 minutes to recover and I would pick it up again. This is more the way you train with weights. You exhaust yourself in an exercise, then take time to recover and redo the exercise a couple more times.

I ran through the water which gave extra resistance, I ran on the sand, I ran around kids playing with buckets and spades. I continued while a string of eyes followed my movements along the seashore. I greeted another runner going the other direction. We were two runners passing through a field of resting, playing and talking holiday goers. It felt so good. I felt so strong. I felt inspiring.

I learned that I am a weightlifting runner. I am not fast, but I can teach my body to work under hard circumstances and still love it.

What kind of body do you have? Do you have easily bulking muscles like me that love to work hard and short, and than take a break, or do have the think lean muscles like Mark that want to run for a long time? Does this information make you think about the way you take care of your body? How do you get your runners-high?

Have a great Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Iris! What a great way to think about this. When I exercised regularly, I hated aerobic type workouts. I just felt aggravated. I enjoyed the treadmill and did programs where I could pretend to climb a hill for a few minutes, then relax by decreasing the incline, then doing it all again. I also really loved a little bit of everything, so did weights and circuit training. So that sounds a little like what you describe. Perhaps thinking about deliberately designing activity that way will help me go after what I want. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...