Tuesday, March 15, 2011

You Still Should Be Juicing!

About a month ago, I suggested that y'all should be juicing. I wrote about my friend Jonathan calling in mid-November to tell us that he'd been diagnosed with lung cancer and how Iris and I had decided to join him in his initiatives to make his body as inhospitable to cancer as possible. In support of Jonathan's initiatives, we'd eliminated simple carbohydrates from our diets and taken to making vegetable juice every morning.

I went on to extol the benefits that we'd experienced from juicing including having more energy, needing less sleep, being more focused and clear, not feeling hungry, losing weight, and of course, not loading up our bodies with cancer fertilizer. Anyway, that was a month ago and since then I've concluded that y'all still should be juicing.

Running
Since I first wrote about juicing, I've discovered additional benefits.

Three weeks ago I started running and I'm already up to 28 miles/week. Not too shabby. Is my rapid increase in milage a result of juicing? Not totally. However, much of it is.

Because I'm juicing daily, I weigh less, so there's less wear and tear on my body when I run. Given the lower weight burden, my legs feel like newly coiled springs making running a lot more fun. Because my body has an ample supply of nutrients, my recovery time after hard runs has shrunk from 48-56 hours down to 12-16 hours.

Steel-Belted?
There's another funny side-effect of losing weight: your clothes change. It started with my needing a belt for my winter jeans and corduroys. I don't normally wear belts and often forget to put one on, so in January, I cut new button-holes about an inch-and-a-half further into the waist-bands to keep my pants up sans belt.

Yesterday, I finally pulled out a pair of my summer jeans, because the winter ones were simply becoming way too big. When I put them away in November, my summer jeans were a too tight (even after wearing them for a couple of days.) However, yesterday, well, they were loose (even after having been washed and sitting in a cabinet for twelve weeks). So, I went from snug 34-inch winter jeans to loose 31-inch summer jeans. Was I dieting? Nope! Just juicing and therefor not feeling hungry.

Getting Easier
Another cool benefit of juicing every day is that juicing gets easier and easier. This morning, my friend Flat Stanley and I made juice using carrots, celery, tomato, cucumber, asparagus, garlic and ginger (Stanley passed on the garlic and ginger.) Because juicing is part of our routine, we had everything ready to go in the refrigerator and it only took a few minutes to juice and clean.

Cart and Horse
Of course, since experiencing the benefits of juicing, I've been talking about them to anyone who'll listen and in exchange, listening to the various tactics and strategies others have employed or are employing to become healthier and feel better.

I gotta tell you, there's a lot of cart-before-horse going on.

One of the things I learned early in diagnosing problems with large computing and communications systems is this:
if you see something that you know is broken, even if it appears to be completely unrelated to the problem at hand, fix it.
You'd be amazed at how many times the experts sent in to remedy a telecommunications crisis spent days overlooking the obvious cause simply because the obvious cause didn't seem related to the apparent problem.

Similarly, regardless of what your physiological or emotional challenges might be, if you're not adequately supplying your body with nutrients or if you're fueling your emotional roller-coaster with sugar, before you run off looking for esoteric solutions, fix what you know is broken. Juice!

Happy Tuesday!
Teflon

2 comments:

  1. Toofus VegetarianusMarch 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM

    Tef--
    So, would you still recommend the masticating model that you got? How does it compare with Jonathan's? I've got a Blendtec--basically a blender with a more powerful motor than my lawnmower--and it does some of the stuff that the masticating one avoids (foams, heats/cooks, etc.), but it's so FRIGGIN easy to use and clean. Great for smoothies, but it has its limitations.

    Whaddya think?

    BTW, have you read about the health issues associated with Teflon? Maybe you should change your handle to "Stainless."

    Toofus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Senior Vegetarianus, I like the masticating one that we bought for a couple of reasons.

    First, although I haven't been able to find any quantifiable stats on the effect of heat and oxydation, my sense is that chopping at high rates of speed has a pretty significant effect. That's assuming everything else is equal. If you're gonna make the juice the night before and leave it in the fridge for the morning, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot.

    Second, Jonathan has a super-duper high-end machine with dual steel augurs. Our has a single augur made of some mystery composite. The steel augurs are cylindrical rather than conical and they tend to get clogged more easily.

    It appears that both machines produce about the same amount of juice given the same amount of vegetables. Ours cleans up faster.

    So, if you're a purest, you might want to go with Jonathan's steel model. However, if you want quick, easy and cheap you might go with ours.

    Of course, there's no improvement like going from not doing it daily to doing it daily. That would likely dwarf any of the benefits found thereafter by choosing the best machine.

    Happy Juicing!
    Tef

    ReplyDelete

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...