Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Wherever Your Are

On Saturday, I drove to home to find Iris and her friend David playing on the ice and snow that cover the parking area of our driveway. David sat happily in a toboggan made of neon-orange plastic as Iris towed him back and forth running easily across the ice as only a Dutch person who grew up skating miles of frozen canal can.

As I unloaded the car, Iris mentioned that she had tried to convince David to come into the house explaining all that awaited him there, but that he had steadfastly refused to go in. She had promised him time to play outside and he wasn't going to miss a second of it.

I went inside to put away my purchases and before sitting down to work decided to check in on Iris and David. I opened the door to the garage expecting to hear them sliding down the ski run that we call driveway, but instead found David and Iris sitting in the garage, more specifically sitting together on the ATV.

I love our ATV. It's fast. It's powerful. It has a plow. For me, it's a manifestation of freedom. Even when the roads are completely impassible by car or truck, they're child's play for me an my ATV. Since we purchased it in November, I've become as comfortable on it as I am on a mountain bike heading down a gnarly single-path winding through the woods. I love the feeling that I get when I ride the line between in-control and out-of-control. After years of talking with various practitioners of meditation, I've come to realize that for me, those are meditative moments, the point where I experience what someone else might experience in deep contemplative meditation.

Apparently David had found the same peace and serenity on the ATV that I do (although the ATV was manifesting a completely different state of being). As I walked into the garage, Iris explained that while attempting to persuade David to come into the house, he had walked up to the ATV, climbed on top and sat down as though to drive it. He continued to sit there looking down at the handle bars and controls and then at the wheels and the plow blade and then out the garage door towards the snow and so on. Who knows where his mind was taking him as he explored the universe on his powerful new steed.

After a bit, Iris determined that the ATV would make an ideal playroom. She grabbed a book and joined David in the world he was creating asking questions and following his changes in focus. And there they sat, the two of them going nowhere while going everywhere blissfully, serenely, happily.

Happy Tuesday Morning,
Teflon

PS Don't miss Mark Kaufman's latest installment later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...