Thursday, December 30, 2010

Love your work

I've heard it said that if you do what you love, you will never work a day in your life.  It's about being in your  zone, your element, your groove, whatever you want to call it. It's you in that place where time does strange things like stand still, or move at quantum speed.  The place seems to have endorphins galore and your energy level may be so high you could leap tall buildings in a single bound.

In the statement above, the intention seems to be around deciding to do the things we love.  So no career in phlebotomy if you can't stand the sight of blood.  I think it can then also be said that if you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life. Or, with a few other words, if you (happen to) love what you (are already) do(ing), you will never work a day in your life. On the other hand, if you are not happening to love your current occupations and activities, you are doomed to experiencing backbreaking work.

I have noticed that I don't stumble upon my love feelings as often as I would like, to make the above thought very useful for me.  My general day to day activities fluctuate between mundane and hysterical (for someone else watching).  Though never bored, I can hardly say I spend the day in heady time-stood-still moments.  For the most part, I work.

Last week wednesday was a great example (make sure you go back to that post for context). I ended that day with an intention to be on vacation for a week.  I woke up on thursday morning and re-affirmed my intention by deciding to do only the things I wanted to do. So, I was to revisit the glasses shop, and I decided I didn't feel like it and I wasn't going to. Every single thing I did, I did because I wanted to. In the early afternoon, I decided that I wanted to go visit the glasses shop, and so I did. All in all, I had a wonderful day, filled with enjoyment in the things I did.  The strange thing is that the things I did were pretty much the same things I do on other days, with far less euphoric results.

Now, at the end of that vacation week, I have a few realizations.

  1. I should be specific about what I'm vacationing from.  I slowed down the income generating work and quadrupled the 'let's re-arrange the furniture, redo the files, empty the closets, throw out junk' work.
  2. What I was actually doing didn't have much to do with how I felt.  I felt rested and refreshed based on how I was thinking.
  3. All my work is work I choose. I want to do it.
  4. Just deciding I wanted to be doing something increased the "love feelings" multiple-fold.
  5. I can (set a clear intention to) love what I do, and so not work a day in my life.
  6. Why avoid working? Why just set a clear intention to love my work?
I hope you spend 2011 doing what you love and loving what you do

A joyful heart is good medicine. - Proverbs 17:22

By the way, I still don't have the new glasses, but the glue is holding up pretty well!

1 comment:

  1. Faith, what a great reminder to check in attitudinally when you're not loving what is. Lately I've been experiencing a lower level of loving what I'm doing even though the doing has changed all that much.

    When I stop and check it out, I realize that it's simply a matter of having made "completing" more important than "working" and that I've slowly built-up a back-beat of pressure to be done.

    It's really hard to focus on being where you are when you're also focused on being where you want to get. It drains the love right out of the moment.

    Thank you!
    Teflon

    ReplyDelete

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...