Friday, December 31, 2010

Learning to Love It!

It was just a year ago today that Iris and I sat in a huddle of two next to our wood stove discussing what we would be doing in the new year. We drifted past the typical new year's resolutions of weight management, diet change and sleep habits into uncharted waters deciding to look at things we'd never done before, we'd never considered to be a possibility, or that we'd avoided because the process of getting there was so onerous.

In a moment of inspiration, Iris said, "I want to run a marathon! I hate running. I can't run. I can't breathe well enough to run. So, I am going to run a marathon."

She paused, and then a moment later added, "And I'm going to learn to love running."

The next morning, I walked into the bedroom and found Iris sitting up in bed with her Mac in her lap. She was typing furiously. With a flourish, she clicked here and there, paused to review the results and then slammed the lid shut.

Looking up at me she said, "I did it!"

"Did what?"

"I signed up for the New York City Marathon and I posted everywhere that I'm going to run in it!"

Throughout the day, Iris' emotions vacillated between excitement and dread. Wow, I'm going to run a marathon! What the hell was I thinking, I can't run a marathon! OK, I can run a marathon, I just need to figure out how! What if I can't do it?

She got online and began researching running, not just running, but running marathons. Having never run more than a half-mile or so, she was, let's say, an instructional blank slate. She googled and read all day long pausing every once and a while to either revel or fret. Around 10:30 at night, she settled on a running plan that would get her ready for a marathon in about six months.

Those of you who followed this blog last year may recall Iris' regular posts on her process, the challenges she encountered and the ways that she overcame them. Although she didn't get into the New York Marathon (this year), she completed a half-marathon in Key Largo in November, was accepted for the New York City half-marathon in March and is hoping to get into the New York City Marathon later in 2011.

For me, the most remarkable aspect of Iris' new year's resolution was the "I'm going to learn to love it!" part. Indeed, Iris has learned to love running, a mean feat for someone who absolutely hated running. She wakes up in the morning looking forward to her run. She reads about running technique and managing attitude. For Christmas, the thing that she wanted most was a GPS watch that monitors speed, distance, elevation and heart rate. She's become a runner.

My words don't adequately express the degree of Iris' transformation, so let me put it this way: If Iris can learn to love running, then pretty much anyone can learn to love anything.

So, as you and yours gather today and consider your new year's resolutions, I'd invite you to add the "and I'm going to learn to love it!" component. I'm going to go vegan... and I'm going to learn to love it. I'm going to join a gym and work out every day... and I'm going to learn to love it! I'm going to stay caught up on all my bill-paying and book-keeping... and I'm going to learn to love it. I'm going to spend more time with my mom... and I'm going to learn to love it!

You get the picture!

Happy New Year's Eve!
Teflon

1 comment:

  1. Yup, "2Luv is 2b Happy"
    getting clear, and, choosing 2 choose.
    bw

    ReplyDelete

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...