Thursday, October 7, 2010

Six Hundred

As I sat down to write this morning, I noticed that our august group of spirited bloggers had posted more than six hundred articles over the past twenty-or-so months. And I stopped: something I don't do often.

I'm not much on celebrating what's been done except insofar as it seems to help in what's being done. At best, I notice the accomplishments and achievements, but not often, and I rarely do I stop to celebrate them. I tend to plunge on ahead. There's just so much more I want to do.

However, this morning I stopped, thinking, "Wow, six hundred is a lot of posts. Shouldn't we have run out of things say by now?"

The funny thing is that the more I write, the more I want to say. You get one idea out the door and two more step in to replace it. You write something and the next day you realize, "No, that's not quite right, or complete, or even wrong."

It's become apparent that there's not just no-end-in-sight, there may be no end, period.

So, I paused to celebrate the moment.

This is even better than when I've cleared the counter of all the dishes and everything is stacked neatly drying in the rack by the sink... or when I've not only mowed the lawn but also weed-wacked every rock, root and tree... or when you can see actually see every square-inch of the laundry-room floor. It's amazing!

Celebrating Bobby Fischer
As I sat there in my revelry, Micky walked in and said, "Hey, did you see John?"

Seeing his lips moving and his eyes peering at me, I removed my headphones and said, "Huh?"

Mikey said, "John was just in here and was the happiest I've seen him. For years he's been submitting entries into a competition held by the New York Times for caption-less cartoons and his was accepted!"

John is a softwarish, algorithmic, mathematical kind of guy who you would never guess would be a closet-cartoonist. He tends to be pretty low key about everything and talks matter-of-factly about his daily feats of programming excellence that evidence his mastery of his craft. And yet, his cartoon being accepted by the New York Times is a matter of celebration.

As Mickey told me about John, I was reminded of a story about chess great Bobby Fischer.

Bobby Fischer was not impressed with people. The likes of Kissenger or Nixon or Jackie Kennedy Onassis held nothing for him. And yet, one time on a cruise he spied someone he simply had to meet. Her name was Kitty Carlisle, an American singer, actress and spokeswoman for the arts best known as a regular panelist on the television game show To Tell the Truth. Kitty's main gig was that of game show fixture and she was as far removed from the world of chess and intellectuals as you could get. And yet, for Bobby Fischer, meeting Kitty Carlisle was the, umm..., err... cat's meow.

Sorry.

Anyway, it's funny what we celebrate and what we don't and how we can make it pretty much anything by being celebration-focused rather than object-of-celebration-focused. In fact, maybe the objects of celebration are nothing more than triggers or reminders, like words suggested by a hypnotist.

What are you celebrating today?

Happy Thursday,
Teflon

3 comments:

  1. 600? Wow. Congratulations to you both (Iris and Tef) for stepping out and creating this blog in the first place, and then for contributing the vast bulk of those 600 posts. Definitely something to celebrate!

    Tef, I know you have blog-post ideas bubbling over in that cauldron of your mind, but here's another one: what motivates you to write as prolifically as you do, and what considerations do you weigh?

    And if I may address the multitude of 'lurkers' out there (ie. folks who only read): as the blog's welcome note at the top says, I'd love to hear more insights, questions, suggestions, assertions and musings. Imagine a conversation even richer and even more stimulating than this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do miss the diversity of blogs - what happend to the people who used to contribute? did they go somewhere else?

    BTW: to all the people reading the blog: I would love for all of us to meet at "Belief makers camp" october 2011 somewhere at the east coast - preferable new england.
    If you like the idea please drop me a note on facebook (Joyce V Strand) or mail joy@dialogues.dk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joy, me too! I know that a lot of folks who were writing found that they didn't have enough time to do so, but I'd love to hear more from others. You don't have to write every day, you could start with say just three or four days a week... or uhmm... maybe one? or once a month? Or how about, once?

    ReplyDelete

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...