Sunday, August 22, 2010

Let it melt like chocolate

Yesterday morning I ran my third run of 8.7 miles. I am in week seven of my half marathon training and I am doing great. When running, I regularly write blogs articles in my head about the victories, the enjoyment and the struggles. But after the one and a half hour run this doesn’t normally materialize in a blog. Instead I eat, drink, shower and rest a bit before I leave for work.

Regularly I have conversations with others about my running. I speak with friends who like to start being more active, but who don’t know how or where to start. I speak with people who have given up running because of injuries. And a few people with whom I speak tell me how they hate to run! Hmm, where have I heard that last comment before?!

In this "learning to run" experiment I learned a lot of things. Most importantly I can say now that I love the runs and that I am really looking forward to them. This was one of the main goals I had in mind when I started. To have fun while learning this new sport that I always judged as “stupid, unhealthy and ridiculous to spend your time on”.

I feel blessed to be able to enjoy the wonderful nature by running through it. By breathing the air and smelling the plants and flowers. By listening to the birds singing and enjoying the dogs running with me along their yard fences. Hearing my footsteps on the gravel and my breathing create a symphony with the nature I am in. In those moments that’s “all what is”. Nature and I are one, in a way much better understood and accepted by our ancestors then by us “modern civilization”.

Learning to run has given me a greater insight in myself. I know more about how I function, how I process information, when I have the tendency to quit, how I can motivate myself and how I can elevate myself to new heights that I though would stay locked forever. I have been a great student of myself and I have actively put the teachings into action, adjusting how I go about running.

I have changed. I have become a very active learner. What I mean by this is that I have been "doing" instead of trying to understand first. I did go to the extremes for a while. I was so absorbed by doing, without feeling able to put it into words that I skipped writing to you for a while. Now I finally seem to have arrived at a new understanding and slowly the words start to come.

In my next articles I will share with you my experiences, the teachings and the challenges. I will compare where I started seven months ago to where I am today and draw conclusions that seemed to have helped me and I hope will help you.

Today, I would like to first ask you the following question: what is something that you have never considered doing before, something that would challenge you, and surely expand yourself into unknown areas if you would be able to allow yourself to take the time to invest yourself in learning?

My next blog post will pick up with this question. Imaging the question to be a piece of chocolate melting slowly on your tong. Enjoy the flavor, the change of substance, and the aftertaste. Play with the question in the way your tong places with the chocolate and experience the answer bubbling up like the enjoyment you experience while the piece of chocolate is melting. Do you enjoy the answer? Do you resist the answer? Do you answer?

Have a great Sunday! Speak to you again in exactly one week.



Love, Iris

(Yes, I will be there next week. I’m writing the article right now!)

1 comment:

  1. I just got drumsticks for my birthday - now I'm looking for a teacher:

    I did consider getting drum-lessons before, but I gave it up when I was 10...

    ReplyDelete

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...