Saturday, July 31, 2010

Backward and forward

Today we will look backward and to look forward. It is my birthday today and Mark asked me to write about some of the events in the last year and what I expect the upcoming year will look like. This is not a small task because many things happened and will happen. But I will pick some of the more significant events and experiences and share those with you.

Beliefmakers
We are an independent blog with lots of cool articles and writers. We moved our site, have a beautiful new look and some of our wonderful readers like Sree started to offer to participate in the writings. I am grateful for all the time the writers put into this blog to write interesting materials for everyone. Thank you so much.

In the upcoming year I plan to put more of my energy in this area. There is so much interesting stuff to explore, teach and use. The world is a ever changing place with amazing opportunities and I surely belief that there are many opportunities in the area of belief making.

Love
My love for my amazing, wonderful husband has been growing a lot over the past year. I always appreciated and loved him, but I have gotten to know him in a different way. A lot of that has to do with this blog. The things we write and talk about have brought us to new understandings of each other and ourselves. The fact we drive to New Jersey every week and we spend a lot of time in the car together has given us new opportunities to distill thoughts and ideas, to brainstorm and discuss. We have opened our hearts further, and deepened our understanding and appreciation. I always knew Teflon was smart, but I have a new appreciation for his smartness and the way he uses it in life. I also love how he really wants the best for people and has this drive to help them.

By my next birthday I will love my husband more than I do today.

Running
This morning I did a four-mile run towards the little breakfast place where I would meet Teflon for some good food and personal time together. At this moment I am in training for a half marathon in November. Most of you know that I started running at the beginning of this year and that it has been going wilt ups and downs. I started well, then got some injuries, recovered, then got into the allergy and asthma season, and finally got through that at the beginning of this month. It has not been easy. It has been a case of persistent and loving the challenge and everything that comes with it.

My run today, over the big hill in front of my house, following the smaller hills into town was as easy as it could be. I ran strong, consistent and my breathing was like a beautiful rhythmic instrument. I arrived at destination feeling I could do another couple of miles. This amazing experience I was able to create due to all my months of persistent practice. I feel exhilarated to have reached this new stage of physical development.

The upcoming year will surely bring lots of running and I expect to complete a half marathon and a marathon.

Family
In June, Mark and I, his dad, the kids families, the grandchildren and his cousin’s family all hang out in one big house in Myrtle Beach. Everyone had a fantastic time. In the upcoming year I hope to re-create this experience with everyone.

My side of the family expanded with two sisters, one baby and a baby under way. I am grateful for the Internet that has brought my family so much closer to me than they have been for a long time... In November I will see my dad and Ina for the first time in two years, and I am really looking forward to that. 

Friends
This morning I hang out on Skype with a friend from the Netherlands that I had not spoken with in quite a while. I am grateful to have friends who like to pick up where we left off, independent of how many weeks, months or years have past.

Last year we have created new bonds with wonderful people living in our neighborhood. Our “No Room for Jello” band counts seven members at this point, and regularly we play with many more. We have lots of fun experimenting, jamming and rehearsing to create new original music. We also have friends who come by to hang out during our rehearsal times to enjoy the active energy of people making music. I learned to sing, perform and play the Jembe.

We had some wonderful visits, like Paul from the Netherlands who cut himself in the finger and who I had to transport to the hospital for stitches. We had Mary and Brian staying at our place for five weeks while they were exploring and growing their love for each other. You an read all about that on their blog Find Real Love

Relationships were challenged, and some deepened and others broke off. I belief these are moments with enormous growing opportunities for all parties involved. I belief this will surely happen again. Continuing changes in our lives, create continuing changing relationships. I am looking forward to it.

Changes
Today is my first non-working day in probably seven to eight weeks. I never knew I would be capable doing that, while at the same time waking up 5:30 every morning to do my writing and running. I am recreating myself in a more consistent me. It is almost like I am reshaping myself, by taking one thing (running), implementing that into my life and then continue to add other things.

One of the things I want to focus on the upcoming year is to integrate communication with my friends into my life in a consistent matter. It has been a challenge, and I start to realize that it’ sis something I want to change next. I also want to comment more on the site to show my appreciation for the articles written and teaching received. I want to show more gratitude towards all the people in my life that are so special to me, and to all the people I meet while living my life!

In short, I will continue recreating myself and my relationships in new and profound wonderful ways.

Ok. I could go on for a long time to come, but I am going to end it here. I want to leave you with the same question as I started with this morning: what happened for you in the last twelve months, and what are you going to do in 12 months coming?

Happy Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. Iris: I was traveling the last few days, so just read this now. Belated birthday wishes, and many thanks for sharing your inspiring resolutions for the next year!
    sree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Iris! Happy belated birthday. I think I'll plagiarize your outline and think about my next 12 months!

    ReplyDelete

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...