Sunday, October 11, 2009

Anticipation, Excitement, Celebration

Yesterday was a very, very special day. It was a day I had looked forward to for quite some time. In August, I even drove to Cambridge to do everything I needed to do to make this day happen! It seemed unreal at the time, but I knew it was going to happen. I contacted service people, sent emails, made preparations, sent out directions, and then I waited until the Saturday morning of October 10, 2009 at 10 am...

When I woke up yesterday, I was so exited for the upcoming day. I jumped out of my bed and I decided to immediately start preparing for what was coming. I walked into my living room and decided that the bookshelf as well as the (cupboard) would need to find new places in other parts of the house. Without the help of a strong arm, I managed to get them to their new places. I kept telling myself, "Look at me, the female 'hulk'!" While waiting for 10:00, I  even organized my books and other stuff that I stored away.

Then I heard the truck rolling up the driveway.  Two extraordinarily strong men expertly moved the subject of my excitement into the house. Carefully they started to unwrap the different parts that they had collected months before in Cambridge. They padded the floor with protective materials and slowly they started to bring in the pieces.

The very first thing that came in was the bench. After that, the legs, three beautiful black shining pieces of ebony and the tools to put it all together. But this was just the intro to the big event. The two men still had to move the 882 pound main piece, wrapped in cloth, through my yard, up a couple of steps, and into the house.

For a bit, the men seemed to have disappeared. But then I saw them rolling the 7.5 feet long and 4.5 feet wide object across the yard, around the corner and toward the steps.  I invitingly held the doors open as the men used their brains and muscles to bring it inside.

Once inside, the men finished their job quickly. In another fifteen minutes, all the pieces were put together and for the first time we could admire our newest living room accessory: the Steinway grand piano that Mark received years ago from his mom and dad (after they moved to a place where they could no longer keep it) was shining happily in his new spot in our living room.

Mark walked into the house about the same time that the piano was moved into his new corner, just in time to sit down and play some beautiful passionate notes. Yes, this was what I had been looking forward to: Mark playing the piano, while his beaming smile was exuding excitement and pleasure!

We spent time enjoying ourselves, playing music and singing songs.  After a bit, we realized that it would be great to have a little sing along party that night to celebrate this event, so we decided to invite some of our friends to join us.

We celebrated the piano's first night with food, drinks, snacks, talks and singing.

I went to bed night feeling wonderfully satisfied and with the realization that we have great friends with whom I hope to spend a many more nights singing and dancing around the piano!

1 comment:

Read, smile, think and post a message to let us know how this article inspired you...